Batteries running low? Need a pick-me-up? Popping open an energy drink won’t last long, no no. Your well being deserves better than that. Treat your body right with a bowl of this healing soup. Feel the goodness with every spoonful.
Let me tell you a little bit about how this soup saved my life. Well, that’s being a bit dramatic I guess, but at the time, it truly was a lifesaver. I was EXHAUSTED. I was just so damn tired.
You guys. I can’t even begin to tell you how this soup saved me. I was drowning, and this soup brought me back to life. I know, it sounds crazy. But it was just perfect. The timing and everything.
I’ve changed it up just a bit, to give it my own twist, but it’s packed with good for you, feel good foods. And of course, I had to top it with these garlic toasted breadcrumbs because they are everything!
So if you need a little pick me up, or just want a little taste of heaven, make this super easy, joyful, warm your heart soup.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 small zucchini, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1½ teaspoons turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 5 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- ½ cup quick cook farro (I use the 10 minute farro from Trader Joes)
- ½ cup red lentils
- 1 cup chopped kale, stems removed
- 6-8 slices of french baguette, cubed
- 1 clove garlic
- Olive oil
- ) Heat the oil in a medium sized pot over medium/high heat. Add the onion, zucchini and carrots and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the salt, pepper, turmeric, and cumin and cook for 2-3 more minutes. You should start to smell the spices toasting.
- ) Stir in the broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling add the farro and lentils and simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes or until lentils and farro are cooked through.
- ) Meanwhile, make the breadcrumbs. Add the bread and garlic into a food processor. Pulse until the bread is in small crumbs. Pour onto a baking sheet and toss with a little bit of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Bake for 5-7 minutes, or until golden brown.
- ) In the last couple of minutes of the soup cooking, add the chopped kale and stir until wilted. Serve immediately and top with the toasted breadcrumbs.