Tofu is such a simple and healthy ingredient and to keep it that way, just grill it on a hot griddle then drizzle it with homemade teriyaki sauce and sesame seeds and oil. You will get the right Asian flavors in such a healthy and easy way.
By Rowena Dumlao – Giardina
How can you not avoid tofu in Asian cooking? I have a tug-o-war love with tofu. Sometimes, I cannot stand its texture and taste while at times, I cannot stop myself from eating everything in sight. There’s nothing in the middle. It’s either I love it or hate it. When I do love it, it is for the way it is cooked and seasoned. Thinking of keeping this recipe simple and healthy, I just grilled the tofu on a stove-top griddle then I made my own teriyaki sauce to mix it with. You can also go without the cornstarch if you want to make the sauce more liquid because no matter what, the three main ingredients of the sauce will be the ones that will carry the flavors. A touch of sesame oil and seeds is something I usually include in my Asian cooking. It gives me a familiarity to the aroma I grew up with. Chives, to tie or not? It’s all up to you. It does take a bit more time to wrap each one but I am telling you, the impact can be great when you serve them. If you are a lover of tofu, health food and Asian cooking, then this is something to try!
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons light honey
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (can be optional)
- 1 tablespoon water (can be optional, goes with the cornstarch)
- 1 (7-ounce) block of tofu, quartered
- 4 long chives
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Over low heat, in a small saucepan, combine the soy sauce, honey and mirin then bring to a boil.
- If you want a liquid sauce, you can skip this part. While waiting for it to boil, in a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch and water until smooth. Pour it in the saucepan and whisk until the sauce thickens. Turn off the fire.
- Over medium heat, grill all the sides of the tofu on a hot griddle or grill.
- When the tofu are cooked, tie each one with the chive. If you don't want to do this, make it simple by just mincing some of the chives and sprinkling them on the tofu.
- Transfer the tofu to a serving dish, add the onions and sesame seeds then pour the teriyaki sauce. Drizzle with the sesame oil.