Cinnamon cupcakes with a hidden surprise, a croissant center topped with a cinnamon cream cheese frosting. A delicious new snickerdoodle mashup.
By Kathleen Siegle
Think of a soft snickerdoodle cookie combined with a buttery croissant, then smothered in cinnamon cream cheese frosting like a cinnamon roll. Best breakfast ever, right?
I ended up using pre-made croissant dough, but I’m in Dubai where everything is amazing. Even the store bought pastry dough is to die for. It wasn’t your typical Pillsbury crescent roll dough. This baked up crispy and buttery, just like the real deal. Homemade or not, use the croissant dough you choose.
- 1½ cups all-purpose unbleached flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla bean, seeded and hull discarded
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons milk
- croissant dough
- 1 8oz package of softened (full fat) cream cheese
- ¼ cup softened butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Set your oven to 350 F and line your cupcake pan with liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one a time and mix well after each one. Add the vanilla bean seeds and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Mix in the flour in batches alternating between the milk. Start and end with the flour.
- Scoop the batter and fill the cupcake liners ? full and set aside.
- Lay out the croissant dough and cut into strips about ½ inch by 5 inches.
- Paint them with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Roll up into mini croissants and place in the cupcake batter.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes until the tops of the croissants are golden brown. Let cool before frosting.
- Beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add in sugar one cup at a time and add a little cream if necessary.
- Add cinnamon and beat on high for 3 minutes until super light and fluffy.