These vegetarian tacos are loaded with adobo-spiced pulled mushrooms (which have the same texture and taste as pulled pork) and a fresh corn ceviche that adds sweet crunch. Best vegetarian taco recipe of all time? Quite possibly.
You all know how I’ve been *obsessed* with pulled “pork” mushrooms for a few weeks now, right? Well I’m coming at ya again with yet another way to use this magic stuff. Because it’s just so perfect on everything and I’m on a mission to prove it to you. So today, we taco.
The classic BBQ pulled mushroom we made a while back has you bake your shredded mushrooms until crisp before tossing with BBQ sauce. We’re changing it up a bit today, dressing our shrooms with a spoonful of chipotle in adobo sauce to give that perfect hint of heat.
Then there’s the corn ceviche. Rather than cooking the corn, we’re going to leave it fresh and crunchy to add some contrast to our soon-to-be best ever vegetarian tacos. We’re taking a note of inspiration from Sprouted Kitchen, who’s herby fresh corn ceviche inspired the simple topping for these tacos. Ready for the best vegetarian tacos of your life?
Pulled Mushroom Tacos
- 4 king oyster mushrooms*
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp adobo sauce from jar of chipotle peppers
- 2 fresh corn
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño finely chopped
- 1 lime (juice, zest)
- 3 radishes finely sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- 1 avocado sliced
- 6 tortillas
- Shred Mushrooms: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C). Clean mushrooms with a damp paper towel. Using two forks, shred the stems and caps roughly into pieces. Set on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake: Drizzle mushrooms with oil, spices, and garlic. Toss around to evenly coat the mushrooms, then bake for 20 minutes, or until mushrooms are a bit crispy and brown on the edges. Stir in the adobo to evenly coat.
- Corn Salad: Meanwhile, cut corn from the cob and toss to combine with all Corn Salad ingredients. Set aside to marinate.
- Assemble: Spoon warm pulled mushroom, corn salad, radishes, feta, and avocado onto tortillas and serve.
An Alaskan self-taught cook and nutritionist by trade, I love all things food and health. When I'm not exploring new ways to cook up healthy ingredients, I'm romping around the Netherlands, my new stomping grounds!