Granola bar recipes can include many ingredients and take hours to make, but this recipe calls for only five ingredients for easy brown rice cereal bars that are a perfect snack as we get back to the busy school year season.
By Alexandra Azary
All busy days should call for only 5-ingredient recipes, am I right? Nothing too fussy or complicated – just 5 ingredients and 5 steps on the way to healthy snacking bliss – AMEN.
These quick and easy cereal bars are perfect this month as kids go back to school and everyone is busy. With nothing more than a few natural ingredients, sweetened with agave, and loaded with (healthy!) almonds and strawberries this is a great snack or breakfast on the go.
- 2½ ounces (2 cups) brown rice cereal
- 1 ounce (1½ cups) freeze-dried strawberries, coarsely chopped
- 3½ ounces (1 cup) sliced almonds, toasted*
- 4½ ounces (1/2 cup) almond butter
- 4½ ounces (3/8 cup) agave nectar
- Line an 8" square pan with foil and grease foil with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, toss together the brown rice cereal, freeze-dried strawberries, and almonds.
- In a small saucepan set over medium heat, heat agave until temperature reaches 255ºF on an instant-read or candy thermometer. Remove from heat immediately and add to dry ingredients along with almond butter. Mix everything together until evenly combined.
- Press mixture into bottom of prepared pan in a flat, compact layer. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours, or until firm. Use foil to lift bars from pan and slice.
- Once cut, transfer bars to an airtight container and store in refrigerator. For best texture, allow to soften at room temperature for a couple minutes before eating.