The yogurt based drink takes a hint from spring with sweet strawberries, plus receives an addition of cardamom and a splash of rosewater.
By Manali Singh
Spring is finally here. Today I am sharing with you a super simple recipe, which is perfect to refresh as the weather warms. It’s fresh, delicious and perfect for spring.
Lassi refers to any yogurt based drink in India and it’s quite popular in US as well. The most popular lassi in this part of the world is Mango Lassi, I swear I have seen it in every Indian restaurant I have visited in this country. But in India the most popular lassi is actually sweet lassi and salty lassi, these are without any fruity flavors, the salty one does have some spices added to it. With temperature in 100s during May-June, lassi is quite a popular drink back home.
To make this lassi is simple, puree the strawberries with sugar and then add yogurt and milk to it. For a creamier lassi, you can even add some half & half to it. I also added cardamom powder and little rose water to this but that’s optional. I would actually recommend both though, because I love the flavors they imparted to the lassi. Oh and yes lassi is supposed to be quite thick, mine isn’t that thick simply because I prefer it this way. If you want thicker lassi, just increase the amount of yogurt to 1 cup and it should be fine!
- 1 cup fresh strawberry puree [from around 20-25 strawberries]
- 2-3 tablespoons sugar or to taste
- ¾ cup yogurt
- ½ cup milk
- 1-2 pinch of cardamom powder
- ¼ teaspoon rose water [optional]
- Wash the strawberries and remove their stalk.
- Puree the strawberries in a blender with 2-3 tablespoon of sugar.
- Add yogurt, milk and blend till well combined.
- Add the cardamom powder and rose water [optional] and blend.
- Pour into serving glass and serve chilled.
Food lover, recipe developer, food photographer and a big time baking addict. I live in Seattle with my husband and share simple and delicious vegetarian recipes on my blog Cook With Manali.