Simple to prepare, these delicious fish tacos are bursting with fresh flavors. Top with a zesty cabbage slaw flavored with cilantro and jalapeño and creamy goat cheese.
By Kelli Lyn
These salmon tacos are ideal for entertaining. I’m not sure why I hadn’t thought of making salmon tacos sooner considering my dad always shares his fresh wild-caught Alaskan salmon. Salmon tacos are my favorite way to eat salmon these days, by far.
They take hardly any time to make, which is always important to me. I even made these last week right after getting home and getting ready to leave for our Truckee trip. They take about 20-25 minutes from start to finish. Not bad for some gourmet looking and tasting tacos!
While the salmon is baking in the oven, work on your jalapeño cilantro slaw. It doesn’t take long for those zesty flavors to stick to the cabbage. I also love the flavor of goat cheese on these tacos. We’ve tried feta and it just doesn’t work the same. Feel free to add queso fresco.
For more taco love, check out these buffalo chicken tacos with a blue cheese slaw or my vegetarian white bean tacos with fresh pico de gallo.
- 1 pound wild caught salmon
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ head green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup olive or avocado oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- 8 corn tortillas
- Garnish: lime slices, cilantro, goat cheese crumbles
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Rub salmon with mixture of chili powder, paprika, cumin, and salt. Bake in oven for 12-15 or until cooked. Remove from oven, flake fish onto a plate.
- In a large bowl; mix together cabbage and green onions.
- In a small bowl; mix together jalapeño, cilantro, garlic, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over cabbage and green onions and mix to combine.
- Heat tortillas over a flame until lightly browned. Repeat until all tortillas are cooked. If you prefer, heat tortillas in an oven or microwave.
- Assemble tacos by filling a tortilla with salmon, topped with slaw, and goat cheese. Squeeze on some fresh lime and a sprinkle of cilantro.
Kelli has an AA in Culinary Arts, but like most people, finds herself short on time when it comes to preparing dinner. For the last three years, Kelli has been creating and photographing recipes that come together quickly on her food blog. She enjoys sharing her tastings notes into the vast world of craft beer, as well as tid bits of life in the wine country with her husband, and yellow lab, Ryder.