This morning, if you need a substantial, comforting breakfast without the guilt, try this nutrient dense bowl of spiced buckwheat porridge with cashew yogurt, mulberries, and maple.
Buckwheat is such a warming grain. It’s that deep nuttiness that makes a bowl of this porridge so calming. I know most of us start our days with bowl of oats, but sometimes I find them a little hard on my digestion. Buckwheat is technically a seed (related to sorrel and rhubarb), so I find it feels a little lighter & easier on my system. Thank god, because I’ve really been missing a morning bowl of porridge.
This one is filled with wintry, spiced flavors that make it a little more special than your everyday banana and peanut butter. I love the addition of yogurt on this, because a play on temperature is always a good idea. The warm porridge and cold yogurt is an addicting combination. Maybe, now, it will replace your daily overnight oats.
- 1 cup buckwheat groats, soaked for 6+ hours or overnight
- 2.5 cups almond milk (or your preference)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1.5 inch piece of ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons golden flaxmeal
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 2 honeycrisp apples, grated
- Cashew yogurt, to serve (or your preference)
- Dried mulberries, to serve (about ½ cup)
- Drizzle of maple or honey, to serve
- Add buckwheat to a mixing bowl or jar. Cover with filtered water and soak for 6 hours or overnight. Once groats are soaked, strain and rinse.
- In a large saucepan, bring milk and sea salt to a boil, then stir in buckwheat groats, return to boil, then lower to a simmer. Mix in vanilla, ginger, maple, coconut oil, flaxmeal and spices. Simmer over low until buckwheat becomes tender and porridge thickens, about 8-10 minutes. If you like your porridge a little “looser” you can always add more milk or water along the way.
- Once porridge thickens to desired texture, stir in half the grated apple, then divide porridge among four bowls. Top each bowl with remaining grated apple, a dollop of cashew yogurt, mulberries and a drizzle of maple syrup. Serve immediately!