Use oats or your favorite breakfast grains to make this delicious breakfast porridge with sweet potatoes, creamy oatmilk and coconut flakes.
On cold mornings, we tend to crave oats that are creamy and hearty, but not too sweet. These oats (Or use any other grain you like!) are soaked overnight in Mooala oatmilk so they are rich, creamy and dairy-free. We love that this organic oatmilk has 0g of sugar, that means our breakfast won’t get super sweet! It’s also a perfect non-dairy beverage to add into coffee, baked goods, smoothies and savory dishes too.
Mooala blends their toasted oats with cinnamon and coconut cream. We used these ingredients to inspire our Oatmilk and Sweet Potato Breakfast Porridge. You can soak your oats or other grains overnight in the oatmilk and then quickly microwave them in the morning. Or, cook the oats as you normally would on the stovetop and simmer in the oatmilk instead of water.
Oatmilk and Sweet Potato Breakfast Porridge
- 1/4 steel cut oats or other favorite breakfast grain you can also use rolled oats, but we love the chewy texture steel cut oats bring to our morning bowls
- 1 cup Mooala Oatmilk
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 roasted sweet potato mashed or about 3/4 cup mashed sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seed or almond butter
- 1/8 cup unsweetened coconut flakes toasted or raw
- 1 tablespoon honey optional
- Combine your oats or other grains with the oatmilk, sea salt and cinnamon. Soak overnight.
- OR, cook your oats/grains on your stovetop with the oatmilk, sea salt and cinnamon.
In the morning:
- If you soaked your oats overnight, combine them in a bowl with the sweet potato and seed or nut butter. Head them together in the microwave for about 2 minutes. Stir to combine.
- OR if you cooked your oats/grains on the stovetop, warm the sweet potato and seed or nut butter in the microwave and stir together to combine. Stir together with stovetop cooked oats.
- Top with coconut flakes and honey, if desired. Get creative with your topping and free free to add chia seeds, fresh fruit and more! We like to pack the warm oats up in a jar and take it to work to eat on-the-go.
The Honest Cooking editorial team handpicks inspiring culinary stories to share with you that we think are beautiful. As an international online culinary magazine with the ambition to truly change the face of online food media we hope to create an inspiring place for serious culinary debate, salivating recipes, interesting food news and international food-fun.