Crisp, smoky bacon is scattered through a maple infused batter that is baked in a cast iron skillet to fill your home with a wonderful aroma. Don’t forget to brush it with a maple brown sugar glaze as a finishing touch.
By Kate Donahue
As soon as you hear the words “maple” and “bacon,” you know it’s going to be good.They seem to be such natural partners no matter what you pair them up with. Sweet maple syrup over pancakes or waffles with a side of bacon is a decadent breakfast treat that I’ll never turn down. All those ingredients transformed in to Maple Bacon Waffle Bread Pudding can be breakfast or dessert? You decide!
If you love amazing snacks, this Maple Bacon Caramel Corn with Pecans is smoky, salty and sweet, all at once. It has addictive properties so consider yourself warned. I’m not joking. You won’t be able to stop yourself from coming back for more, handful after handful. Maple and bacon work together on every level, even at dinner. This Maple Bacon Skillet Cornbread is what chili yearns for. It’s what soups will swoon for and tender, fall off the bone ribs will shine next to it.
Crisp, smoky bacon is scattered through the maple infused batter then poured into a hot cast iron skillet. Slide that skillet full of goodness into the oven and bask in the scent as your entire kitchen is filled with the sweet smell of fresh cornbread baking to golden perfection. Out of the oven, the warm cornbread is brushed with a maple brown sugar glaze that is the perfect finishing touch.
You definitely want to enjoy this skillet cornbread fresh from the oven while it’s still warm. This cornbread recipe is easy to make and will be a smoky, sweet, oh so special side to your dinner or just for snacking all by itself.
- 6 slices bacon, cooked to crispy and coarsely chopped or crumbled (reserve 4 teaspoons bacon grease)
- 1¼ cups stoneground yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1¼ cups buttermilk, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In a 10-inch cast iron skillet (or a 9-inch square baking pan) place reserved bacon grease and place skillet inside oven.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, melted butter, maple syrup, eggs and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until evenly moistened. Fold in the crumbled bacon pieces.
- Carefully remove hot skillet from oven and pour prepared batter in. Return skillet to oven and bake 20-22 minutes, until cornbread is golden on top and lightly browned at the edges. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- While the cornbread cools slightly, in a small bowl whisk together maple syrup, brown sugar and melted butter. After cornbread has cooled for 10 minutes, brush the top of the cornbread with the glaze mixture. Cut into 8 wedges and serve warm.