A refreshing drink with a blend of fresh mint leaves with tangy lime.
By Prathima Rao
In my hometown guests are always welcomed with a refreshing drink that suits the season. The most common and popular drink has to be the nimbu sherbet (lime juice). Lemons are never seen here and it the lime that dominates in all homes. A big jar of chilled sherbet is always greeted with warm smiles in hot summer months. And this drink finds its way during winter months too! All you have to do is just squeeze in some fresh lime juice to a jar of warm/ tepid water! This has been practiced for a long time now for the wide array of benefits lime offers. Freshly squeezed lime juice is an ideal remedy for cold and coughs besides improving digestion along with host of other benefits.
Here is a slight twist to this traditional drink with the addition of fresh, green mint leaves! The quantity of lime is less than the regular version but is enough to come through the minty flavor of the herbs. This herb is no far behind when it comes to health benefits. Mint leaves can aid digestion, stimulate senses, treat colds etc.
- cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 small limes – squeeze out the juice
- Sugar or honey – to taste
- 1 tsp of chopped ginger (optional)
- 2 ½ cups cold water
- To serve :
- Fancy glasses, wine glass etc
- Crushed ice (optional)
- Lime slices (optional)
- In a blender blend the fresh mint leaves, chopped ginger, lime juice till almost a paste.
- Then add in the water, sugar or honey to taste and blend for half a minute or till well combined.
- Serve chilled with some crushed ice.
- For a special touch, you may dip the rim of the serving glass in very little water and then immediately dip lightly in some salt. Then insert a lime slice in each glass, pour in the cooler and serve!
Born and brought up in South India amongst hard core food enthusiasts. Cooking and food has always been a part of Prathima’s growing years with every family gathering accompanied by a scrumptious and elaborate meal. Now, traditional vegetarian food of her community has paved way to contemporary and quicker dishes.