Let’s face it, biting into a savory soft meatball brings so much joy. Here’s how to make Buca Di Beppo’s famous recipe at home.
Let’s face it, biting into a savory soft meatball brings so much joy. But in order for these Italian creations to be groundbreaking (by our taste buds standards) the meatball maker has to know what they are doing. They must be aware of the ingredients, the rolling technique and the cooking time, much like the cooks a restaurant Buca di Beppo.
Dedicated to whipping up handed down recipes from Italian immigrants for all to enjoy, Buca di Beppo goes a step further and shares their coveted meatball recipe with us! But before turning into meatball expert, swing by any Buca di Beppo restaurant to support a good cause. Joining forces with Emmy-award winning actress and St. Jude celebrity ambassador Sofia Vergara , they launched Meatballs 4 Niños. A charitable campaign supporting St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. For any meatball portion purchased a Buca di Beppo, $1 will be donated to St. Jude.
Buca di Beppo’s Famous Meatball Recipe
- 1 ½ pounds ground chuck
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- ½ cup bread crumbs preferably Italian
- 2 large eggs
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper
- 8 ounces of water
- 32 ounces of authentic marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 350º
- In a mixing bowl, combine first 7 ingredients and mix thoroughly. (Do not over mix – this will cause the meatballs to become tough.)
- Divide into equal portions and shape into 6 meatballs.
- Place meatballs on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake until a dark brown crust forms, 13 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer meatballs to a Dutch oven.
- Combine marinara sauce and water, and pour over the meatballs.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake until meatballs are cooked through, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Place the meatballs on a platter.
- Skim the oil from the top of the marinara and ladle it over the meatballs.
Makes 6 Large Meatballs
I enjoy listening to the stories of the people who devote their time to fill our stomachs with scrumptious food. And of course, experiencing and sharing my thoughts on the cuisines that span across the world.