This sweet and tangy chutney can be used as a condiment to enhance the flavor of a dish or as a dip for anything from Samosas to banana chips.
By Nandita Nataraj
- Dates- 15-20
- Tamarind- approximately 100gms
- Cumin powder- 1tsp
- Black salt- 1tsp
- Red chilli powder- 1tsp
- Salt to taste
- Ginger powder- ½tsp
- Stone the dates.Remove any seeds and clean the tamarind thoroughly and keep aside.
- Combine the dates and tamarind in a pan and add sufficient water and cook the mixture for 15-20min on a med heat till it comes to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for 6-8min more.
- Take off the heat and allow the mixture to cool completely.
- Blend the cooled mixture till smooth and add the Jaggery, red chilli powder, ginger powder, salt, black salt and mix well and cook the mixture on low heat for 2-3 min.
- Cool again and store in air tight containers and refrigerate. Use as required in the next few weeks. They are bound to stay fresh for a few weeks refrigerated and for a few months if frozen.
Nandita was born, bred and spread in India, but right now lives in Tanzania where her quest for simple and exotic pleasures of food led to the creation of the blog Paaka-Shaale. She believes that food is not just a means to feed a body. But it is also meant to appeal the mind and satiate the soul.