Crispy skin and creamy centers, smashed potatoes are bursting with Indian spices from the garlic, turmeric and cumin and are easy to make.They make for a great side dish.
By Soni Sinha
Potatoes are a staple in almost all cuisines round the world.They’re cheap,they feed a crowd and are delicious cooked in any form.My favorite potatoes are golden and crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside. My Smashed Potatoes are bursting with flavors from the garlic, turmeric and cumin and are super easy to make.They make for a great side dish and that golden crispy exterior is to die for.The crisp outer skin leads into the soft creamy part and you’re hit with the smoky cumin and garlic flavors all together making it so addictive.You definitely need some of this in your life.Trust me you do.Print
Indian Smashed Potatoes
Crispy skin and creamy centers, smashed Potatoes are bursting with Indian spices from the garlic, turmeric and cumin and are easy to make.They make for a great side dish.
- Author: Soni Sinha
- Category: Side
- Cuisine: Indian
- Fingerling or any small potatoes-1 lb
- Cumin Seeds-2 tsp
- Turmeric-1 tsp
- Garlic Powder-1 tsp
- Paprika-1/2 tsp
- Salt-to taste
- Oil-3 tbsp
- In a pot add the potatoes and cover them with water.
- Bring to a boil,reduce the heat, cover and cook for about 15 minutes until they are cooked.
- Once cool to touch smash the potatoes with a fork or your hands.
- In a skillet heat oil and add cumin.Once they crackle, add the potatoes.
- Sprinkle turmeric,garlic powder,paprika,and salt.Mix and let the potatoes develop golden color on one side before flipping them to develop color on the other side.
- Once they’re all golden your potatoes are ready.
Soni is a recipe developer, food writer/blogger who creates recipes with a healthy Indian twist. She is a passionate cook and her recipes cater to readers who are are willing to try contemporary Indian flavors in wide ranging fusion dishes that she creates.She shares all her cooking adventures on her blog Soni's Food.
Just tried this tonight and it was wonderful. I didn’t use garlic powder as I don’t like it. I meant to add chopped garlic but forgot. Also, I used ghee instead of oil. Thanks, I will make again many times