Fresh and colorful, Baar Baar restaurant in NYC shares two Indian-inspired summertime chutneys. Transforming the average chip and dip combo featured at the standard grill outs into the stars of those summer soirees.
Similar to tomato salsa, ranch dip, or melted cheese used to elevate foods flavor, chutneys are the flavor-saver of Indian cuisine. Ranging from sweet, spicy, chunky or smooth, these dips from Baar Baar are typically paired with kulcha an Indian bread but can be used with a variety of foods like chips and vegetables for a boost of flavor.
Using ripe avocado, green chilli, zesty turmeric, fenugreek, caraway, mustard oil and fresh yogurt. Consider the Avocado Achar and Yogurt chutney an Indian version of guacamole combining. Indian spices and yogurt create this bright dip, and you can turn up the heat by adding more red chili powder and chopped green chilies. Chef Sujan Sarkar at the lively, modern Indian gastropub BAAR BAAR in NYC serves this flavorful chutney with freshly-made Papad for dipping.
Baar Baar’s Avocado Achar and Yogurt
- 1kg Raw Avocado
- 100 grams Green Chilli
- 40 grams Red Chili powder
- 20 grams 2 Caraway seeds
- 20 hms Fenugreek seeds
- 20 grams Cumin seeds
- 200 ml Lemon juice
- 50 hms Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 100ml Mustard Oil
- 500 grams Yogurt
- 50 grams sugar
- Take Pan once heated add mustard oil
- Add caraway seed, fenugreek seeds & cumin seeds sauté till crackled
- Then add red chili powder and turmeric powder and cook with little waterOnce cooked for about 10 min keep it aside for cool down
- Then take entire mixture into airtight container add avocados and lemon juice and let it ferment for 5 days.
- Take yogurt add sugar Wisk it nicely pour into small serving bowl then add fermented avocado pickle on top .
- Serve with any hot serving
Whereas the distinctive Tomatillo and Green Mango Chutney is comprised of eclectic ingredients like green mangoes, mango chunda, vine-ripe tomatoes and onion seeds. Similar to its salsa equivalent it is suggested to pair this chutney with papad, tacos, tostadas, enchiladas, or just grab some chips and take a dip.
Baar Baar Tomatillo and Green Mango
- 1kg Tomato 1 kg
- 200 grams Green Chilli
- 400 grams Green mangoes
- 10 sprigs Mango chunda
- Salt to taste
- 40 grams Caraway seeds
- 100ml Oil
- 40 grams Onion seeds
- Take Pan once heated add oil
- Add caraway seed and onion seeds sauté till crackled
- Then add tomatoes and rest of the ingredients cook with little water
- Once cooked for about 30 min keep it aside for cool down
- Mix with mango chunda (ready made sweet mango pickle)
- Blend into rough texture.
- Serve with any hot serving.