Bryan Picard finally knows what his favorite dessert is.
By Bryan Picard
I never knew what to answer when asked: “what’s your favorite dessert?”. Now I do – it’s this cake.
I’ve taken my grandmother’s original Molasses Cake recipe, swapped the coffee for Guinness and added a vanilla cream cheese frosting.
Eat it hot or chilled.
- 2 cups (5dl) white flour
- 1 cup (2.5dl) Guinness
- 1 cup (2.5dl) molasses
- ½ cup (1.25) sugar
- ⅓ cup (0.8dl) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- 1 package (8oz) cream cheese
- 1 cup (2.5dl) sugar
- ⅓ cup 0.8dl) of melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven at 350F.
- Mix the baking soda in the Guinness. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Whisk together the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add the Guinness, molasses, egg, cinnamon and salt.
- Stiff in the flour a bit at a time, whisking constantly.
- Butter a 8×8 mold and pour in the mixture.
- Cook for 35-40 minutes. Leave to cool at leat 15 minutes before digging in.
- For the frosting, in a bowl, mix the cream cheese, sugar, melted butter and vanilla.