Pico de gallo, tangy quick-pickled radishes, and grilled tofu with cumin makes for a flavorful vegetarian bite that is perfect for get-togethers.
By Joana Oliveira
I came up with this simple Mexican-inspired taco recipe complete with fresh flavors and bright colors that is also gluten free, vegan and low FODMAP.
For these tacos I’ve used hard-shell corn tortillas that I filled with pico de gallo, seasoned tofu and pickled radishes. If you prefer soft tortillas, it also works well.
Pico de gallo, also know as salsa fresca is a fresh, uncooked tomato salsa, similar to the Italian tomato bruschetta. The touch of heat, cilantro, and the lime juice make all the difference!
The quick pickled radishes and grilled tofu spiked with cumin will give your tacos a special boost.
- 4 corn tortillas
- 2 tomatoes (240 gr), diced small
- ¼ cup scallions (2), sliced, green parts only
- 1 chili pepper, seeds and membrane removed and minced (optional)
- ½ cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- Big pinch of salt
- Juice of ½ lime (2 tablespoons), more to drizzle
- 1 Block of extra firm tofu
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- ½ cup/ 100 ml apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup/ 100 ml water
- ¼ cup/ 50 gr. brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 4 radishes (80 gr), thinly sliced or shaved on a mandolin
- Start by making the pickles: combine all the ingredients except the radishes in a small saucepan and bring to medium heat until the sugar dissolves (about 1 minute after boiling). Remove from heat and set aside. Slice off the tops and bottoms of the radishes, cut them into paper thin slices and place in an airtight container. Add the warm liquid and let stand without lid for one hour. Seal the jar and refrigerate until use. You can save the remaining pickles in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- In a small bowl, stir together tomatoes, scallions, chilli pepper (optional), cilantro and fresh lime juice. Season with salt and stir to combine. Let sit at least 15 minutes, covered in the fridge until serving (ideally one hour). Stir in some more cilantro leaves just before serving.
- Slice the tofu into halves and wrap with paper towel. Place a plate and a heavy object on top of the tofu and set aside for 15 minutes. This process will help tofu drain faster. After pressing the tofu, cut into medium rectangular strips and coat both sides with salt, pepper and cumin. In a hot grill pan, grill 5 minutes per side or until crispy and golden brown.
- Place the tofu strips in each tortilla, top with two tablespoons of pico de gallo and some drained pickled radishes. Drizzle with lime juice and serve.
My name is Joana and I am a passionate foodie on a food sensitivities friendly diet. My Gut Feeling blog features mainly gluten free, dairy free and low FODMAP recipes. For more info please visit: