Pear and ginger flatbread with a hint of cinnamon and the fresh, light touch of orange flavors. Use the gluten free bread as a vessel for a variety of flavors.
By Rita Anastasiou
Pear and ginger flatbread with a hint of cinnamon and the fresh, light touch of orange. A perfect combination. The gluten-free flatbread is a great vessel for a variety of flavors.
- 2 cups (256 grams/9 oz) brown rice flour
- 2 cups (256 grams/9oz) white rice flour
- 2 cups (256 grams/9oz) tapioca flour
- 1 cup (128 grams/4.5 oz) cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons granulated yeast
- 1.5 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoon xantham gum
- 3¼ cups (775 ml/26.20 oz) lukewarm water
- ½ cup (120 ml/ 4 oz) olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 6 Bosc pears
- ⅔ cup (146 grams/ 5.16 oz)packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger,grated
- zest of one orange
- Shredded coconut
- chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons of orange marmalade
- Whisk together the flours,cornmeal,yeast,salt and xanthate gum in a 5-quart( 5 liter) bowl or lidded food container.
- Combine the liquid ingredients with the honey and add the mixture to the dry ingredients,in a heavy duty stand mixer with a paddle attachment,mix well until the dry ingredients are well incorporated.
- Cover and let it in a room temperature,until it rises for approximately 2 hours.
- You can use the dough immediately or you can divide it in thirds and refrigerate it in a lidded (not airtight) food container and use it over the next 5 days,or freeze it over the next two weeks.Though is better to handle when is cold. If using immediately,put some rice flour on a clean countertop and knead until is formed into a ball.
- Preheat the oven at 425 F (220 C).
- Take each third of the dough and try to make an oblong shape With your hands.
- Peel the pears,remove the pits and slice them.
- In a medium bowl,put the pears,the sugar,the ginger and the orange zest. mix it with a spoon and let it for couple of minutes for the flavors to blend together. Place them nicely over the flatbread,and bake for 20-25 minutes until the crust is nicely brown.
- When you remove from the oven, add the coconut,the walnuts and the remained liquid from the pears and brown sugar,mix it with the orange marmalade and drizzle it on top.
A Greek foodie and dessert-aholic, Rita lives in the crazy rhythms of Las Vegas with her daughter and husband. A graduate of the Academy of Tourism and Culinary Arts of Greece, she has worked as a cook for five years, but she hasn't stop there. At her blog, Gluten Free Home Bakery, she shares gluten free recipes from Greece and beyond.