Tasty gifts of the holiday season usually include a grand appetizer platter filled with dips, spreads, and classic finger foods essential for entertaining a crowd at home or at a party. This holiday season entertain guests or your very own palette with this creamy French inspired appetizer and refreshing wine pairing from SIMI Winery.
Created by SIMI Winery’s Chef Eric Lee, this recipe highlights everything a holiday appetizer is supposed to be. Simple, smile inducing and deliciously French. Oui Oui. A flavor combination of goat cheese smeared on top of a toasted sliced baguette and topped with apple slices, crystallized ginger pistachios and some syrup. But the best part about this French inspired recipe, is the perfect pairing of SIMI Winery Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc.
Created with fresh appealing citrus notes of lime zest, pink grapefruit, and fresh lemon grass from the fruit of Sonoma County’s Alexander Valley. A refreshing, and crisp Sauvignon Blanc like SIMI Winery’s is a must for goat cheese pairing as the two are well known for being edible best friends.
- 1 French baguette cut diagonally into 1/2-inch slices
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces fresh goat cheese
- 1/2 Granny Smith Apple peeled and cut into small dice
- 4 tablespoons chopped toasted pistachios
- 2 tablespoons crystallized ginger chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 chamomile tea bag
To make the syrup:
- In a small saucepan, bring the sugar and water to a boil to dissolve the sugar. Turn off the heat. Add the tea bag and steep for 3 minutes. Remove the bag and let cool.
- Places bread slices on a sheet tray. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle very lightly with salt and pepper. Bake in a 350 degree oven until slightly crispy. Remove and let cool. Spread with some goat cheese and top with some apple, ginger, pistachios and drizzle with some of the syrup.
In the unfortunate case that Sauvignon Blanc is not a favorite , SIMI Winery has more excellent wines for you to choose from. Click here to take a peruse through their website
I enjoy listening to the stories of the people who devote their time to fill our stomachs with scrumptious food. And of course, experiencing and sharing my thoughts on the cuisines that span across the world.