PARTNER POST – Get creative with any of Castello’s uniquely crafted cheeses. Click here for a $1 off coupon to create your own gourmet masterpiece.
A salad that is bold and filling enough to be a main dish. Lush, slightly sweet and with a touch of creamy, tangy Havarti cheese.
By Christine Arel
This salad is definitely not meant to be a side dish, but instead, a lush, filling, entree salad, packed with nutrients and color. The sweet potatoes and creamy, but slightly tangy Havarti cheese compliment each other perfectly in that ying-yang kind of way, and provides a fantastic balance to the rest of the salad.
- 1 large sweet potato (about 1¼ lb.), cut into ½ inch thick cubes
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp grape seed oil
- ½ cup red quinoa
- 1 cup unsalted chicken broth
- 2 pieces low-sodium and crispy turkey bacon, diced
- 6 oz. of Herbs and Spices Havarti Cheese, cubed ( I used Castello brand)
- ¼ small purple cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 small bunch of kale or ½ of a large bunch, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- ½ cup of grape seed oil, or olive oil
- 2 tsp chives, diced
- sea salt, to taste ( I used ½ tsp)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl or ziploc bag, mix sweet potatoes with ¼ tsp of salt, and 1 tbsp of oil; arrange on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 30 minutes or until tender. When done, remove from the baking sheet and allow to cool to touch.
- While the potatoes bake, prepare the quinoa by adding 1 cup of broth and the quinoa to a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil; lower to a simmer, cover and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the broth has been absorbed. When complete, remove from the sauce pan and allow to cool.
- Prepare the dressing; whisk the first four ingredients together in a bowl; add salt to taste.
- Finally, toss the Havarti Cheese, cabbage, and kale together in a large bowl. Divide and place onto individual serving bowls or plates.
- Serve topped with bacon pieces and a ¼ cup of quinoa, with dressing on the side.
Get creative with any of Castello’s uniquely crafted cheeses. Click here for a $1 off coupon to create your own gourmet masterpiece.