PARTNER POST – Get creative with any of Castello’s uniquely crafted cheeses. Click here for a $1 off coupon to create your own gourmet masterpiece.
A sweet and savory combo of aged Havarti with fig butter, wrapped in puff pastry, and topped with pistachios and honey.
By Grace Silla
I love sweet and savory flavors combined together. When I was younger, my dad would make us banana, chocolate and pita bread sandwiches for dessert and I remember having crushed pretzels with my ice cream on more than one occasion. They were both tasty treats and it was a fun way to scrounge up something sweet when in reality, we had nothing in the cupboard that would ever be deemed dessert-worthy.
Today’s sweet and savory recipe combines Castello’s Aged Havarti with fig butter, all wrapped in puff pastry. And if you aren’t drooling yet, I topped them with two of my favorite things: pistachios and honey. I wasn’t sure how I felt about fig butter in this dessert but after taste testing both, A and I decided that fig butter perfectly finishes this pastry.
And now I think I’ll go help myself to the remaining few.
- 1 sheet puff pastry (cut into 9 even squares)
- ¾ c shredded Castello Aged Havarti cheese
- 3 T mascarpone cheese
- 3 T fig butter
- egg wash: 1 egg + 1 tsp water
- 2 T pistachios, ground
- Arrange puff pastry squares in a row. In a small bowl, combine havarti and mascarpone cheeses. Add 1 T of cheese mixture to the middle of each pastry square. Top each with 1 teaspoon of fig butter. Pinch opposite corners of squares together to form a wonton-style pastry (top right corner pinched with bottom left corner, then top left corner pinched with bottom right corner). Brush egg wash over each pastry. Sprinkle with pistachios.
- Bake at preheated 400F oven for 20-23 minutes or until dark golden in color. Drizzle with honey and top with more pistachios if desired.