The bold chocolate flavor makes for a rich cup of cocoa without being too sweet. Top with a foamy espresso whipped cream that will melt in as you sip.
This cocoa is not as sweet as some recipes. I like the bold chocolate flavor but I don’t like feeling like I am drinking a candy bar. This cocoa is rich and satisfying without being overly sweet. Then it is topped with espresso spiked whipped cream. The combination of the two flavors is amazing. It is similar to the flavor of a mocha latte when the espresso whipped cream melts into the cocoa.
This is the perfect drink to end a cozy winter day! Or a great one to help you get through a weekday!
For the Dark Chocolate Cocoa
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons cocoa I used one tablespoon cocoa and one tablespoon dark chocolate cocoa
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 square semi sweet bakers chocolate or 1 tablespoon chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Espresso Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon espresso or strong coffee*
For the Cocoa:
- Heat all ingredients over medium heat in a small saucepan stirring occasionally until warm. Adjust heat if necessary.
For the Espresso Whipped cream:
- Using a mixer beat the cream, sugar, and espresso until stiff peaks form.
- Pour cocoa into mugs and top with whipped cream
You can adjust the amount of honey to make this a sweeter drink if you prefer.
Annie is the gluten-free blogger behind Maebells that has a passion for revamping classic Southern comfort food into lighter, healthier, gluten-free meals. For more from Annie, head on over to her blog and connect with her on Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest.