By Lauren Zaser
With summer in full swing, it’s the perfect time to start making ice cream don’t you! Growing up, I helped my Grandma make ice cream every year for our huge family picnic by the pool. Since her recipe was non-cook it didn’t call for any eggs and I always missed the consistency and flavor that egg yolks add to ice cream. That creamy richness just can’t be duplicated, believe me I’ve tried. At the same time I loath ice cream recipes that call for cooking, then cooling for hours in the fridge, putting the mixture in the machine and then freezing it to get the texture I want.
Isn’t there a way I can make a non-cook ice cream recipe AND use worry free raw eggs yolks?
YES!!! I’ve recently discovered Safest Choice Eggs, they’re pasteurized so they have the same taste as normal eggs but you don’t have to worry about the risk of salmonella. Phewff!
So now I can make a more traditional ice cream recipe without all the cooking and waiting, because lets be honest, when you’re making ice cream you want it ASAP.
- 2 cups half&half
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 5 Safest Choice Egg yolks
- 8 oz sugar
- ½ cup concentrated cold brew coffee (I used Grady’s Cold Brew)
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Add everything but the chocolate chips in a cold bowl and whisk.
- Pour mixture into ice cream machine and following the directions of your specific machine.
- While the ice cream is churning add the chocolate chips to a food processor and pulse until you get the consistency you want.
- Once the ice cream is almost done in the machine add chocolate chips.
- When the ice cream’s done serve immediately for soft serve or put it in the freezer for a more scoop-able ice cream. And enjoy!!!
Lauren Zaser (b. 1990) is a Seattle native currently living in Brooklyn, NY. She is one of the co-founders of TGIF Gallery. She loves making sangria, smelling candles and hanging out in backyards with tacos.