The paprika adds a depth of flavor. The oregano pairs beautifully with the corn, again it is one more layer of flavor that completes the picture without being overpowering or dominant.
By Sawsan Abu Farha
My kids love corn in all its shapes and forms. Add melted cheese, tortilla chips then asking them to wait for this to cool down becomes almost unbearable. I try to make my dip a little healthier (you can’t really call this healthy with all the cheese but healthier)by replacing the regular mayonnaise or sour cream with milk thickened by flour and oatmeal.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 3 cups corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- pinch black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups milk
- 5 tablespoons oatmeal
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- ½ cup Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Preheat the oven to 200 C.
- Melt the butter in a pot, add the onions, stir until the onions are soft and tender.
- Add the red pepper and cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add the corn kernels and stir for 5 minutes.
- Add the oregano, paprika, salt and pepper
- Sprinkle the flour over the corn and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the milk and the oatmeal, cook while stirring over medium heat until the mix thickens (7-10 minutes)
- Add half of the cheese and mix until combined
- Pour into a baking dish and sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Bake until bubbly and golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Serve hot with tortilla chips.
Passionate food explorer Sawsan Abu Farha lives in Jordan and enjoys mixing east and west in her kitchen aiming to get the best of both worlds.Juggling work, motherhood, blogging and a passion for food and food photography, she shares her journey in her blog "Chef in disguise".