Dark cherry zucchini protein smoothie. This smoothie is so good and has been my go-to for the past 2 weeks.
One of the most common concerns when going vegan is of course, where do you get your protein. A great protein powder helps boost post workout along with providing your essential and non essential amino acids, BCAA’s that recovering muscles need. This smoothie is so good and can fool any kid-detective looking for spinach in his/her smoothie. Zucchini blends down to a creamy texture. Plus zucchini has anti-inflammatory properties, high potassium, helps digestion along with being a great source of B vitamins. Plus I find smoothies are easier to digest after a workout so my stomach is happier. I hope you give this recipe a try and report back letting me know what you think. This recipe makes one big smoothie (for me) or two smaller (for kids). Enjoy!
Cacao Nib and Cherry SmoothieRobin Runner
- 1 cup of a nut based or other non-dairy milk
- ½ of a large zucchini sliced quartered then sliced into chucks to blend easily
- ? cup of frozen cherries pitted
- 1 scoop of your favorite vegan protein powder I used Vega Sport chocolate
- 1 tbl of ground flax or flax and chia blend
- 1 tsp of maca powder
- 1 - 2 tsp of your favorite nut butter
- ¼ cup of crushed ice
Toppings are optional:
- Hemp hearts
- Cacao nibs
- Add your ingredients to the blender in the order as listed. Blend on the smoothie setting or highest setting for about 45 seconds to 1 minutes or until completely blended. Pour into a large cup and top with your favorite toppings.
Robin Runner is the blogger behind www.kneadtocook.com. She grew up around two of her greatest inspirations, her Italian grandmother and her aunt. Both believed in farm to table foods, purity in nature and love as the main ingredient for anything on their menu. Today, Robin is a strong advocate of farming and buying local ingredients, as well as composting to help repurpose food scraps into rich soil for our garden.