This is a tasty and versatile dish. While I prefer broccoli rabe, you can substitute that for whatever vegetable you have on hand. These buns make a lovely brunch, lunch or side dish for supper. You can even make them smaller for pop-in-the-mouth hors d’oeuvres for your next party.
red chili flakes
salt + pepper
puffed pastry (frozen or home-made)
egg wash (with a drizzle of honey and a sprinkle of rosemary)
• Steam broccoli rabe (in water or chicken broth) till soft.
• Drain and saute briefly with garlic and tomato.
• Season to taste with salt, pepper and/or red chili flakes and some freshly grated parmesan.
• Set aside.
• Cut defrosted puff pastry into panels and then in half to create a square or rectangle.
• Add scoop of vegetable filling and top with shredded mozzarella.
• Close up either in bun or hot pocket shape and bake in hot oven at 400F degrees (204.4C) till browned.
Joan Nova is the publisher of FOODalogue: Meandering Meals, Musings + Travel which melds her lifelong passions for food, travel, photography and publishing. Her culinary style is bold and colorful with finishing touches that take each dish to the next level. She is an active participant in many online food organizations.