Brady Evans does something she’s never before done: she lets her husband peruse the recipes and select the week’s meals.
Text And Photo By Brady Evans
Recently I was feeling completely uninspired when planning my week’s meal menu. I handed a select group of cookbooks over to my husband and allowed him to do something I’ve never before done: peruse the recipes and select our week’s meals.
Of course, he chose a meat-laden entree for each and every day. I’m mostly vegetarian these days – meat maybe twice per month by my choosing.
This dish is not heavy on the beef and I enjoyed the inclusion of beans in the meat mixture. I guess you could say we were able to ‘meat each other halfway.’
And I’m glad I did. This meal was truly restaurant quality.
- ¾ lb (350 grams) thinly sliced beef
- 16 oz (475 mL) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 16 oz (475 mL) canned tomatoes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- whole wheat tortillas
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 T chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Heat a large over high heat.
- Add oil and heat until shimmering.
- Stir fry beef until cooked, 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and spices. Cook 1 minute.
- Add canned tomatoes and beans.
- Reduce to simmering and cook 10 minutes.
- Combine chopped tomato, avocado, lemon juice, and cilantro.
- Place ½ cup of beef and bean mixture into tortillas.
- Top with two tablespoons of avocado salsa.