After a workout or a crazy day you need a pick-me-up. This smoothie tastes like peanut butter cup, only way better for you.
By Robin Runner
This smoothie was my brainchild during my longish run yesterday. This is what I do when I run. I mediate, I pray for people in my life who need it and I create recipes. Some are successful and some are great failures. Thankfully this one was a huge success because after 8 miles, you tend to be hungry or you will be in the near future. This protein smoothie hit the spot for a post workout, easily digestible fuel. It’s really important to let your body heal the muscles you tore up immediately after a workout and not worry about trying to digest a big breakfast. I do smoothies within 30 minutes of the workout then eat a snack or breakfast about 1.5 hrs afterwards. I feel like my recovery time is faster when I do this.
This smoothie was also a hit with my girls. So totally kid approved! It tastes like a peanut butter cup only better for you!
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tablespoon of protein (I suggest Vega vanilla or hemp protein powder or whatever you prefer or have on hand)
- 1 tablespoon of almond butter (I used maple Justin’s almond butter)
- 1 tablespoon of raw cashews
- 1 teaspoon of cocoa nibs
- 1 teaspoon of mini chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life vegan chips)
- 1 Medjool date, pitted
- 2-3 ice cubes
- Add all of the ingredients to your Vitamix or blender and blend until creamy.
- Pour into your glass and enjoy. Makes one smoothie.