Nancy Lopez-McHugh with a list of 10 interesting facts about that lovely spice we know as cinnamon.
By Nancy Lopez-McHugh
Cinnamon is a favorite spice of many. These are 10 cinnamon facts you should know.
1. Cinnamon is the inner bark of cinnamon trees.
2. Cinnamon is a spice which can be used on savory or sweet foods.
3. “Cinnamon is one of the oldest spices known. It was mentioned in the Bible and was used in ancient Egypt not only as a beverage flavoring and medicine, but also as an embalming agent. It was so highly treasured that it was considered more precious than gold.” source
4. “Cinnamon bark is one of the few spices that can be consumed directly.” source
5. There are four varieties of cinnamon. The most popular being Ceylon cinnamon and Cassia cinnamon. The varieties differ in texture, color and slight flavor differences.
6. In Chinese medicine cinnamon has been used to treat colds, flatulence, nausea, diarrhea, and painful menstrual cramps. source
7. Cinnamon has also been used in Ayurveda to treat diabetes and to improve digestion.
8. Additional studies have been done on the health benefits of cinnamon. Some have shown that cinnamon regulates blood sugar, smelling cinnamons stimulates brain activity, it is a natural food preservative, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-parasitic and anti-inflammatory.
9. Cinnamon contains manganese, dietary fiber, calcium, iron, and zinc.
10. Attempting the Cinnamon Challenge is not only stupid but can be dangerous. Read this
Nancy Lopez-McHugh is a food blogger, photographer and published author. Most recently she has published "Yummy Pics: A Food Blogger's Guide To Better Photos".
Huh! Who would have thought there was so much to learn about cinnamon other than it’s tasty :)
Another reason why cinnamon is so great, righ Rochelle?
I had never even heard of the cinnamon challenge. How disturbing to learn how mind-numbingly stupid people can be!
Yes, and all in the name of being “fashionable”
I had no heard of the cinnamon challenge either…very odd! But love your article and cinnamon facts :)
cinnamon challenge has killed people because ounce it reaches the lounges you either die or have lung problems for the rest of your life
cinnomon is not the inner bark of the tree.It’s the skin of the stem.I am a cultivator from India.
Very Helpful. Thank You, this helped me understand more about cinnamon.