These cake donuts are rolled in cinnamon sugar, cut in half, and filled with fresh strawberries and whipped cream to be a delicious take on strawberry shortcake.
The baked donuts are rich and cake-like—a total cross between a cake donut and a biscuit shortcake. Then, when you add the cinnamon sugar and the berries and cream, it’s a dessert of dreams.
I’d also like to add that should you choose to eat this for breakfast, I 100% support your decision. I mean, what’s more breakfast-y than whipped cream, strawberries, and donuts??
Baked Strawberry Shortcake Donuts Tips and Tricks:
– Baked donuts cook quickly! They are usually done within a few minutes, so you definitely want to keep an eye on them. As soon as the tops have risen and they ‘spring back’ when tapped, they’re ready to go!
– To get the cinnamon sugar to stick to the donuts, they need to be dipped in melted butter, then immediately rolled in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
– You can use canned whipped cream or homemade whipped cream. Of course, while I am partial to homemade whipped cream, I certainly wouldn’t turn down the canned stuff. Feel free to use whichever!
– When making the donuts into the “shortcakes,” assemble them right before serving. Cut the Strawberry Shortcake Donuts in half, top with whipped cream and strawberries, and enjoy!
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cups sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup buttermilk (you can substitute regular milk, but buttermilk yields a richer texture)
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted
- ½ cup sugar
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 4-5 Strawberries, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a donut pan well with baking spray.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt together.
- Add in the egg, buttermilk, vanilla extract, and butter. Mix until just combined.
- Spoon or pipe the batter into each donut cavity, filling about ¾ of the way full (you will have enough batter for about 8 donuts).
- Bake for Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the donuts are lightly golden and 'spring' back when touched.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, then remove the donuts from the pan and allow them to continue cooling on a wire rack (about 10 minutes).
- While cooling, melt the butter in a shallow dish (one large enough the whole donut can fit in it).
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon together in a separate bowl.
- Dunk both sides of the donut in the melted butter. Immediately roll the donuts in the cinnamon sugar mix, making sure it is well-coated.
- Allow to finish cooling on a wire rack.
- With a mixer on medium speed, beat the heavy cream until it begins to thicken. Add in powdered sugar and vanilla, and continue to beat until it reaches a whipped-cream consistency.
- Assemble the Strawberry Shortcake Donuts right before serving. Cut the donuts in half and spoon on whipped cream and strawberries.