Rice sautéed with Indian spices and mushrooms makes for a filling vegetarian dinner.
By Anita Mokashi
- 2 cups of rice
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 tomato chopped
- ½ cup peas
- 7-8 mushrooms roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt as per taste
- Coriander for garnishing
- 5 green chillies
- 1 inch ginger
- 5 garlic pods
- 4 green cardamoms
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cinnamon
- Rinse rice well and soak it in water for an hour
- Make a paste of the ingredients mentioned below for paste and keep it ready
- Heat oil in a pan and add the onion, fry for a few minutes. Next add the chili paste and stir-fry for about a minute.
- Add the tomato, mushrooms and peas to the pan and cook for another few minutes. Now add the rice and stir and fry for another few minutes. I fried it till all the spices & tomatoes coat the rice & the whole mix kind of starts to dry off.
- Add the water, lemon juice and salt, bring to a boil. When the water disappears from the surface, (you will still see the water in between the rice grains & there will be more water inside, Lower the heat to minimum & cover & cook for about 5 minutes. Switch off the heat after 5 minutes & keep it covered for another 10 minutes.
- Let sit for a few minutes and then mix in the cilantro/coriander
Looking for the perfect mushroom sauce for steaks? Check this lovely recipe out.