Packed with fresh figs, chia seeds, and gluten free oats, these fig newton bars are a delicious blast from the past and a nutritious snack, too.
By Robin Runner
I love figs. I’ve been using them on arugula and balsamic glazed pizza. In smoothies. And I had to… I had to make fig newtons. A perfect school snack that’s healthy enough to grab for breakfast too. Plus, they are gluten free, so anyone can enjoy them.
- 1.5 cups of Bob’s Redmill gluten free rolled oats
- 1 heaping cup of walnuts (I used black walnuts)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch of salt
- ¼ cup + 1 teaspoon of maple syrup
- 6 figs, washed, stem removed
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon of white chia seeds (or black) I used Mamma Chia
- Optional: Coconut Sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line your baking sheet with parchment or a Silpat.
- Into your food processor add your oats, walnuts, salt and cinnamon. Blend for about 1 minute or until a fine powder is achieved. Remove and spoon into a mixer bowl. Add your maple syrup and blend until fully incorporated. Turn that off and focus on the filling.
- Into your food processor (no need to wash the bowl out) add your figs, syrup and chia. Blend for about 40 seconds. I stopped and scraped down the sides. Blend again for another 10 or so seconds. Then let that sit and the chia absorb the excess liquid and blow up a bit (12 minutes).
- On your counter or rolling pad, add some gluten free flour and then your prepared dough. Dust your rolling pin with some of the flour and roll the dough out to about ¼ inch thick. I did a circle or a rectangle would also work.
- After your chia mixture has had enough time to thicken up, spoon that onto half of your dough mixture. Then fold over the other half on top of the half with the chia/fig mixture. Seal the edge with a fork. Optional: dust the top with coconut sugar.
- Add gently (I used a spatula) to your baking sheet. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until your edges are golden. Please watch this as everyone’s ovens are truly calibrated differently. Once golden edges are achieved, remove and let cool. Slice however you prefer.