This easy feta and tomato soup recipe is simple to make with just a few basic ingredients in 30 minutes. It’s creamy and perfect with basil and feta cheese. tomato soup with basil and rich, savory feta cheese.
Have you tried Trader Joe’s tomato feta soup? Yeah, me neither! But every time I go to the store, I tell myself that I need to make tomato feta soup.
Creamy tomato soup is one of my all time favorites. Forget the grilled cheese, I can have it on its own or occasionally accompany it with some freshly baked crusty bread.
This Easy Tomato Feta Soup Recipe is bursting with Mediterranean flavors. I like to add a little pesto sauce to my tomato soups, but this time I just used fresh basil. I also seasoned the soup with oregano, which pairs perfectly with the feta cheese added at the end.
Since the tomatoes are slightly tangy as well, I recommend adding a little bit of sweetener to the soup to balance the taste. For those of you on a Ketogenic diet (which I currently an on), I’d suggest that you use erythritol, for everyone else white granulated sugar or some honey will work. We are talking about 1/2 tsp erythritol, sugar or honey.
Adding crumbled feta cheese to this soup adds saltiness and also tanginess. It definitely adds creaminess and texture, but it also doesn’t melt. All ingredients necessary for this creamy tomato feta soup recipe are :
Should you use fresh or canned tomatoes? I’ve given options in the recipe. I’m aware that canned tomatoes are just so easy to use! But if you have fresh tomatoes and don’t mind peeling them, I’d prefer these for this Mediterranean tomato feta soup.
Should you use fresh or dried herbs? – Fresh herbs are perfect if you have them. Dried herbs works great as well!
This recipe is also great for people on a moderate Ketogenic diet, since tomatoes aren’t too high in carbs. All other ingredients on this soup also are low in carbs and pretty healthy!
- 2 tbsp olive oil or butter
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp pesto sauce optional
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp tomato paste optional
- 10 tomatoes, skinned, seeded and chopped or two 14.5 oz cans of peeled tomatoes
- 1 tsp honey, sugar or erythritol optional
- 3 cups water
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ⅔ cup feta cheese crumbled
- Heat olive oil (butter) over medium heat in a large pot (Dutch Oven). Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, pesto (optional), oregano, basil, tomato paste and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Add sweetener.
- Cook on medium heat for 20 minutes, until the tomatoes are tender and cooker. Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. Add the cream and feta cheese. Cook for 1 more minute.
- Add more salt if needed. Serve warm.