PARTNER POST – Get creative with any of Castello’s uniquely crafted cheeses. Click here for a $1 off coupon to create your own gourmet masterpiece.
Creamy caraway grits are topped with marinated shrimp and comforting corned beef.
By Justine Sulia
With St. Patrick’s Day right around the corner, I thought this would be the best time to share these caraway havarti grits with shrimp and corned beef. I promise it’s not as strange as it seems! In fact, it’s pretty much one of the most delicious things I’ve ever had! Deli-style corned beef is tossed with a spicy shrimp and then piled on top of creamy, buttery grits that have been loaded with caraway havarti cheese. This recipe is pure comfort, and I won’t doubt that you’ll be going back for seconds and thirds!
As we embark on these last few days of winter, I’ve been soaking up all of the comfort food I can. It’s ok though. It’s fun to swap out the roast beef and mashed potatoes for cold pasta salads and cheeseburgers.
These caraway havarti grits with shrimp and corned beef are just pure comfort in a bowl. The shrimp itself is marinated in a blend of rice wine vinegar, olive oil, lime juice, crushed red pepper, cayenne and chili powder. It is seared to perfection in a hot skillet and then tossed with deli-style corned beef.
The caraway havart grits? Well now these are the best part! Corn grits (or polenta) is cooked to perfection in a large saucepan. Into the grits goes grated Castello Caraway Havarti Cheese that is an insanely perfect addition because St. Patricks Day is right around the corner and the caraway compliments the corned beef sooooo well! A couple of tablespoons of butter and a dash of salt and pepper finish the whole thing off!
Pair the grits with a Pale Ale and have a wonderful week!
- 6 cup water
- kosher salt
- 2 cups corn grits
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 ounces Castello Caraway Havarti Cheese, grated
- sea salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, cleaned and peeled
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- ½ pound deli-style corned beef, chopped
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Add the water and salt to a deep saucepan or stock pot. Bring it to a boil, and then add the grits. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook the grits for 25-30 minutes or until creamy and smooth, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasoning to taste and stir in the butter and cheese. Continue to stir until melted. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, rice wine vinegar, lime juice, chili powder, cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper and a dash of salt and pepper. Pour the mixture into a gallon-sized zip bag and add the shrimp. Close tightly and coat the shrimp evenly with the mixture. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the shrimp and sauté until pink and cooked through, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the corned beef.
- Serve the shrimp and corned beef on a bed of grits. Sprinkle with parsley and enjoy immediately!
Get creative with any of Castello’s uniquely crafted cheeses. Click here for a $1 off coupon to create your own gourmet masterpiece.