Panzanella is a simple, yet delicious, Tuscan dish made up of caramelized onions, diced tomatoes and freshly toasted croutons. Despite its simplicity, Panzanella is fresh, flavorful and healthy; a perfect meal by itself, or addition to any dinner menu.
One of my favourite food combos is tomatoes drizzled with olive oil, with balsamic caramelized onions, fresh basil, buffalo mozzarella and crispy croutons.
I recently had a night to myself at home, and dinner for one at my house usually means scrambled eggs and toast. However, the fresh veggies in my kitchen inspired me to greater things.
Making fresh, healthy food to share with the people in my life is one of my passions. Unfortunately, I’ve been struggling to find motivation to do the same when I’m the only one at the table.
There must have been something in the air that night though, as I was SO excited to finally have some time to make myself a delicious, healthy dinner that wasn’t eggs on toast. I decided on a Panzanella salad (a Tuscan tomato and bread dish).
- an array of tomatoes – I used 2 truss, 2 roma, a handful of colourful heirlooms, cherry and grape.
- 1 ball of buffalo mozzarella or tub of boccocini
- 1 brown onion
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or rice malt syrup
- 2 slices of bread, ripped into small chunks
- large handful of fresh basil
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- On a baking tray, place your ripped bread and coat with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Place in the oven for 4-5 minutes on 180 deg cel (355 degrees Farenheit) and bake until crispy. Think croutons!
- Slice brown onion and in a fry pan over medium heat, combine onion, balsamic vinegar and sugar until the onion cooks down and vinegar has caramelized.
- Slice and dice your tomatoes – I chose to mix it up and chop them all different shapes and sized but all the same looks nice too.
- On a large plate, combine the tomato, mozzarella, chopped basil and caramelized onion.
- Top with the crunchy croutons, drizzle with a good quality extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper and enjoy.