PARTNER POST — TrySwedish Thursdays is a culinary collaboration between TrySwedish, West Sweden, Gothenburg and Sweden’s most famous and loved cheese Västerbottensost®. Discover the edible delights of the land.
Often served at summer’s crayfish parties in Sweden, make the unique Västerbottensost cheese pie with sharp cheese flavor baked into the custard filling.
Swedish cheese pie or ostpaj is a popular dish that calls for just a few ingredients, but together creates a rich bite. Use the sharp Swedish cheese, Västerbottensost, and serve as a hearty side to cool summer seafood.
Not sure what Västerbottensost is? Learn about the unique cheese from our article here.
- 125 g (4.4 ounces) butter
- 300 ml (126 grams or 4.5 ounces) wheat flour
- 1 tbsp water
- 150 g (5.3 ounces) grated Västerbottensost
- 3 eggs
- 200 ml (6.75 fluid ounces) whipped cream
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 225°C. (437 F)
- Mix the butter and flour in a food processor to a crumbly texture. Add the water and mix into a smooth dough. Press the pie dough into a pie dish (24 cm or 9 inches in diameter). Prick the bottom of the shell and place in the oven for about 10 minutes.
- Whisk the eggs and cream, add the cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the cheese filling into the pie shell and bake for about 20 minutes until the pie has set. Allow to cool.
Lindsey Olsson Shamshoian
A.V. OLSSON TRADING CO., INC.
VICE PRESIDENT, BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
T: +1 203-969-2090 | M: +1 203-253-3738
The Honest Cooking editorial team handpicks inspiring culinary stories to share with you that we think are beautiful. As an international online culinary magazine with the ambition to truly change the face of online food media we hope to create an inspiring place for serious culinary debate, salivating recipes, interesting food news and international food-fun.