PARTNER POST — TrySwedish Thursdays is a culinary collaboration between TrySwedish, West Sweden, Gothenburg and Sweden’s most famous and loved cheese Västerbottensost®. Discover the edible delights of the land.
Perfect as a party appetizer or a savory morning dish, this Swedish pastry is filled with an egg and cheese custard complete with the iconic cheese, Västerbotten, and summer’s tomatoes.
Similar to a quiche, this classic Swedish pastry with the unique cheese, Västerbottensost can be easily served as a party appetizer and eaten by hand. If you are overloaded with fresh tomatoes, this is a great recipe to feature the coveted summer ingredient. Feel free to use red cherry tomatoes if that is what you have available.
Not sure what Västerbottensost is? Learn about the unique cheese from our article here.
- 125 g (4.4 ounces) butter
- 30 cl (10 ounces) flour
- 1 tbsp water
- 200 g (7 ounces) grated Västerbottensost cheese
- 4 eggs
- 20 cl (6.6 fluid ounces) double cream
- 1 bag fresh baby spinach (65 g or 2.3 ounces)
- 10 yellow cherry tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- Put the oven on at 225 °C (437F). Mix the butter and flour in a food processor into a crumbly lump. Add the water and mix together into a smooth dough. Press out in a bread baking mould. Prick the pie dough in the bottom and pre-bake for about 15 minutes.
- Tip: To get the edges to stay up, you can cover the dough with foil and fill up, for example with peas, while pre-baking.
- Whisk egg and cream, add the cheese. Salt and pepper to taste. Fold in the spinach and tomatoes, cut in half. Pour the cheese filling into the pie shell and bake for about 30 minutes until the pie has set and taken on a good colour. Leave to cool and cut out in neat pieces. Serve the pastries wrapped in waxed paper.
Lindsey Olsson Shamshoian
A.V. OLSSON TRADING CO., INC.
VICE PRESIDENT, BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
T: +1 203-969-2090 | M: +1 203-253-3738