Brady Evans with her own twist on the classic Spanish mix of potatoes, eggs, and onions in delicious layers.
By Brady Evans
A Twitter friend came to the rescue on this one. I was up extra early due to the time change (6:45am) and my comrade was up extra early to her infant child. I was craving a breakfast and sent out an S.O.S. for a potato egg bake. She led me to her blog. And I found exactly what I was looking for there.
Eggs and potatoes are a delicious combination and while my husband was a little skeptical of the addition of sweet potatoes, he was pleasantly surprised. I served this as an easy breakfast because it is delicious warm or room temperature. It would also make a great side dish for dinner.
- 7 Red Bliss potatoes
- 2 small sweet potatoes
- 1 sweet yellow onion, thinly-sliced
- ¼-cup (100 mL) olive oil
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 2 -4 Tbs. parsley, chopped
- kosher salt
- ½ lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and fry until tender and slightly browned.
- Meanwhile bring a pot of water to boil and place cleaned potatoes in a steamer basket.
- Steam potatoes 10 minutes then dunk in cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Slice potatoes thinly.
- Beat eggs with parsley, salt, and lemon.
- Add potato slices to frying pan with onion, making sure potatoes lay flat.
- Pour beaten eggs over top.
- Cook 20-25 minutes or until eggs are set.
- Let cool before slicing and serving.