PARTNER POST: Let Pomì’s premium quality, Italian tomatoes bring the fresh and healthful taste of Italy to your cooking, no matter the cuisine.
A bowl of tomato basil soup and a cornbread waffle grilled cheese is the perfect comforting meal. Warm, buttery cornbread waffles are stuffed with cheese and served with the creamiest tomato soup.
The temperatures have dropped, I can see my breath and the moment I step outside I can feel the cold in my chest. Fall came and went, and now winter has arrived.
That means it’s time for me to gorge myself on allllll the comfort food I can stuff into my face.
Whenever I think about a warm grilled cheese sandwich with a side of tomato soup, a wave of comfort washes over me.
Fortunately I feel like I’ve finally outgrown the canned soup that I used to solely rely on to get me through the cheap meals I would slam down in my early college days. After being in Italy for as long as I was, I grew to seriously appreciate tomatoes. The tomatoes out there were just so deep and full of incredible flavor.
That’s honestly why I seek out products like Pomì tomatoes to use in my kitchen. They only use the highest quality of Italian tomatoes and seriously, you can actually taste the difference. It makes this creamy tomato and basil soup the most delicious, rich soup to indulge in with a thick and cheese cornbread waffle grilled cheese.
The melted cheese gets in all the nooks and crannies of the sandwich and the rich, acidic tomatoes burst with flavor in every bite. That’s why the soup recipe is so dang simple – you don’t need a ton of spices to cover any tin can type taste from these tomatoes. It’s nothing but rich, smooth deliciousness.
If you want more incredible ways to use these ridiculously fresh and flavorful chopped and strained tomatoes from Pomì, you should check out Pomì’s online cookbook! It’s FREE and the recipes won’t make you gain more holiday weight (ahem, more room for holiday cookies, ahem).Print
- Author: Meghan Bassett
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Main, Soup
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 large onion (diced)
- 2 Tbsp dried basil
- 1/2 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 26.46 oz Pomi Chopped Tomatoes container
- 1 cup Pomi Strained Tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 tsp olive oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add onion and cook until browned, approximately 3 to 5 minutes. Add basil, oregano, garlic powder, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, Pomi chopped tomatoes, Pomi strained tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer over medium-low heat. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add to a blender. Puree until smooth. Add heavy cream and combine on low. Keep warm.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar and salt for the cornbread waffles. Add milk, vegetable oil and eggs, stirring until smooth.
- Grease a waffle iron with cooking spray. Add 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup to your waffle iron, cooking until golden brown and cooked through. Once you’ve created at least 4 waffles, make the grilled cheese!
- Add 1/2 cup of each type of cheese between two cornbread waffles to create a sandwich. Cook in an oiled skillet over medium-high heat until golden brown and the cheese is melted, approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side. Cut into quarters. Repeat with the second set of waffles.
- Serve one bowl of soup with two quarters of each cornbread grilled cheese. Garnish with fresh chopped basil as desired.
Food addict turned food blogger with a love for cooking uncomplicated, gourmet recipes. I love creating food that is straightforward, relatable and will blow your friends and family away. I am the author of the food blog Cake 'n Knife, where you’ll find that fresh ingredients + unique flavors + love = gourmet food, every single time. For more, please visit: