A tender, moist and thoroughly scrumptious cake with a distinct honey flavor and toasted almonds.
By Kimberly Killebrew
Butter, while it tastes heavenly, dries out baked goods, especially by the next day. So I added a little coconut oil to provide some extra moisture. For some added honey flavor, I used not only honey, but also honey-flavored Greek yogurt. I added just a hint of extra almond flavor to complement the sliced toasted almonds.
- 2 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (highly recommended, but can substitute vegetable oil) Note: Do not melt the coconut oil before adding it.
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 cup Greek honey yogurt (do not use non-fat)
- For the Honey Glaze:
- 1½ cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- ? cup sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease a 9×2 inch round cake pan. I use and love Parrish Magic Line pans.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar for several minutes until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and beat another 2 minutes until lighter in color and fluffy. Add the honey, coconut oil, vanilla and almond extracts and beat until combined.
- Using a rubber spatula, stir the flour mixture and honey yogurt into the wet mixture in thirds, alternating between the two, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the very center of the cake comes out clean. Let the cake sit in the cake pan for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Toast the sliced almonds in an oven preheated to 375 degrees F for 4-5 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool.
- To make the glaze, combine the powdered sugar, honey and milk until no lumps are remaining. Place the rack over a cookie sheet and pour the glaze over the cooled cake, starting at the center and moving out, allowing the glaze to drip down the sides of the cake. Evenly sprinkle the almonds over the top of the cake. Let sit for at least 10 minutes before carefully transferring to a serving platter.