No Labor Day barbecue would be complete without a great, classic burger.
By Susan Benton
The Ultimate Man Burger recipe below is grilled to perfection and topped with just the right combination of flavors guaranteed to make everyone at your backyard barbecue happy!
- 4 pounds ground brisket or chuck
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- freshly ground black pepper
- 8 hamburger buns, split
- 8 thin slices Swiss cheese
- Sauteed Mushrooms (recipe below)
- Sliced Purple Onion
- Sliced Heirloom Tomato, drizzled with olive oil, sea salt, and fresh chopped chives
- Thick Slice Bacon, cooked, one piece cut in ½ per burger
- Herbed Horseradish Mayonnaise ( recipe below)
- In a large bowl, lightly season ground meat with salt and pepper and mix in gently with your hands. To shape the burgers, take about ⅛ of meat and form it into a meatball; then flatten it a between your hands until it’s about ½ in. thick. Turn the patty on your palm while firming up its edges with the thumb and forefingers of your other hand (your goal is to get rid of a crumbly edge). Repeat with remaining meat. Let burgers rest at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Prepare a gas or charcoal grill for high heat (450° to 550°). Wipe grate with oiled paper towels.
- Grill burgers 5 to 7 minutes, topping with cheese during the final minute.
- Transfer burgers to a clean plate. Clean grate with oiled paper towels. Toast buns on grill 1 minute and serve with burgers.
- Assemble burgers and add favorite toppings. Serve Horseradish Mayo spread on bun, top burger with onion, tomato, sauteed mushrooms and bacon.
Susan Benton is the go to resource for foodies visiting Pensacola to Panama City Beach. She is a food and travel journalist with published articles and photography in many local, regional and national publications. Her website is 30AEATS.com where she writes about the secrets of Gulf Coast food.