Sweet corn kernels are steeped in ice cream base and combined with rich mascarpone and sweet blueberry jam for a farewell to summer.
By Debra Smith
Sweet corn and blueberry season end with the conclusion of summer, but if you are lucky to have saved some of summer’s produce I promise you this gelato is worth it!
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1½ Tablespoons tapioca starch
- 3 Tablespoons softened mascarpone cheese
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- 1¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Lyle’s Golden Syrup or corn syrup
- 1 ear of sweet corn, kernels removed
- ½ cup blueberry jam
- In a small bowl, mix tapioca starch with 2 Tablespoons of the milk until dissolved and set aside
- In a medium bowl, whisk together mascarpone cheese, salt and cream until smooth; set aside
- Fill a large bowl with water and ice for the ice bath; set aside
- Combine the remaining milk, sugar, golden syrup, corn kernels and the cob in a large saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook for 4 minutes. Remove from heat
- Remove the cob and pour the hot mixture into a blender in small batches and blend until smooth
- Drain the corn base through a cheesecloth-lined colander or fine-mesh sieve and return liquid to the saucepan; slowly whisk in tapioca starch mixture
- Return to medium high heat and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 1 minute; remove from heat
- Place the saucepan into an ice bath and gradually whisk the mascarpone mixture into the hot milk mixture until smooth and cooled
- Once cooled, pour into a gelato maker (or frozen ice cream maker canister) and process until thick and creamy
- Alternate layers of ice cream and blueberry spoon fruit into a chilled storage container and freeze until firm, at least 4 hours or overnight
- Remove from freezer 10 minutes before serving to soften slightly and serve
Debra and ‘The Professor’, Midwest-based husband and wife freelance videographers, photographers, writers, storytellers, and publishers of the Smith Bites. Using images, words, music and video, they connect the stories about food, friends and family to the world around them.