Resembling a more complicated risotto, this one-pan chicken is straight forward and full of flavor from other ingredients including oregano and rich cheese.
This recipe for Orzo and Chicken combines some of my favorite ingredients, like pasta, sun-dried tomatoes, oregano and cheese (which is not surprising for someone coming from Mediterranean region).
The dish resembles risotto, yet it is quick to make and full of Italian flavor. It is prepared in one pot or skillet by frying chicken, onion, sun dried tomatoes and orzo, and slowly adding chicken stock until all liquid is absorbed (no need to cook pasta separately). You can use either standard type of orzo or smaller one, called “risini” (like I did).
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2/3 cup sun dried tomatoes drained from oil
- 1-2 Tbsp oil from tomatoes
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 1/3 cup orzo pasta
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ cup wine red or white
- 3½ cup chicken stock warm (hot is even better)
- ½ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp dry thyme
- ¼ tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp balsamic vinegar optional
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt black pepper
- grated Parmesan cheese
- chopped parsley optional
- Cut chicken breast in bite-sized cubes and season with salt and pepper.
- Put olive oil and oil that you reserved when draining tomatoes in a pan or skillet and heat over medium high heat. Fry the chicken until golden. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Sauté onion until translucent. Add garlic and fry for a few seconds until garlic is fragrant.
- Add orzo and fry about 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Stir in tomato paste, sun dried tomatoes, wine, oregano, thyme, lemon zest, balsamic vinegar and sugar. Return chicken cubes to the pan.
- Cook, adding chicken stock one ladle at a time and stirring often, until orzo is soft. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with chopped parsley and grated Parmesan cheese.
Kitchen Nostalgia is a website about delicious old fashioned recipes from our grandmothers’ kitchens that everyone can make easily at home. www.kitchennostalgia.com strives to make it easy for you to find inspiration for a great tasting meal.