PARTNER POST: We’ve teamed up with Bonne Maman to bring you the best homemade breakfast and brunch recipes to show Mom you care this Mother’s Day and all spring long.
Made with whole grains, topped with a honey Greek yogurt frosting, and rolled together with bright strawberry preserves these sweet rolls are a little bit nourishing and totally comforting and delicious.
Homemade gifts are always the best gifts. And maybe it’s just me, but I think home-cooked food is perhaps the most meaningful gift of all. What better way to say I love you than with a nourishing, comforting and delicious dish you put a little elbow grease into making?
The past few mother’s days, the hubs and I have celebrated by preparing our mom’s a farmer’s market inspired meal at our house. You can actually see what we made here and here, and get a giggle at just how far my food photography and writing has come. Even though Mother’s Day is still a month away, it’s not too early to start planning something special. After all, your mom did carry you for 9 months, as I’m frequently reminded.
This year, might I suggest a breakfast in bed starring these strawberry rolls with lemon yogurt frosting? Made with whole grains, topped with a honey sweetened Greek yogurt frosting, and a bright strawberry flavor from Bonne Maman strawberry preserves, they certainly fit the bill of nourishing, comforting and delicious. Plus, they make your house smell like heaven as they bake in the oven. Seriously, if I ever strike it rich, I’m paying someone to bake these every morning so this + coffee is the first thing I smell.
Bonne Maman is definitely the secret ingredient that adds a little something special to these rolls, and I’m not just saying that because of my obsession with all things French. Bonne Maman preserves are made from only the highest quality fruit and simple ingredients following time-honored, traditional French recipes. The result is a jar of preserves that tastes like the most perfect specimens of ripe fruit concentrated into one perfectly sweet-tart bite – it really tastes like homemade. Plus, it’s pretty packaging and gingham lidded jar helps decorate your breakfast tray. And fun fact, Bonne Maman means “Grandmother” or “Granny,” so it’s kind of perfect for a Mother’s Day brunch.
To make these rolls, whisk up the dough, knead, and let it rise for an hour, Then roll it out into a large rectangle and spread it with melted butter and Bonne Maman strawberry preserves or another one of their delicious flavors, like fig, cherry or wild blueberry. Roll the dough up into a log, cut into circles and let the rolls rise again before baking until golden. Serve topped with a dollop of honey sweetened Greek yogurt with lemon.
Make sure to check out Bonne Maman’s sweepstakes for a chance to win a 12-piece Le Creuset cookware set and more!
For another recipe idea, check out these strawberry muffins.
Click here for the written recipe.
Strawberry Rolls with Lemon Yogurt IcingRachael Hartley
- 1 cup all purpose flour or bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 packet dry active yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter cut into pieces
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon almond milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- ½ cup Bonne Maman strawberry preserves
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt preferably full fat
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, yeast and salt. Using fingers, mix in butter, by pressing it between fingers, until the butter is incorporated and the flour forms a sandy consistency.
- Warm milk for 30 seconds in a microwave proof glass. Whisk in egg and honey. Pour mixture into the flour, stirring to incorporate. Knead until well combined, about 1-2 minutes. Place in a warm area, cover with a clean dishcloth and let rise for about 60 minutes.
- After the dough has risen, form it into a rectangle and roll out into a 12X9 inch rectangle on a floured workspace. Brush with melted butter. Spread with strawberry preserves. Starting at one end, roll the rectangle into a long log. Using a serrated knife, cut into 12 rolls. Place rolls in a large baking dish and let rise in a warm spot for 30 minutes.
- Before baking, preheat oven at 375 degrees F. When the rolls are risen, place in the oven and bake 25 minutes until golden. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- While rolls are baking, whisk together yogurt, honey, lemon, lemon juice and salt.
- Dollop rolls with frosting immediately before serving. Keep leftovers unfrosted otherwise they will get soggy.
Hi there! I'm Rachael Hartley, a dietitian, food blogger, whole food lover and avocado enthusiast. My mission is to help you rediscover the joy of eating. I believe living a healthy, fulfilled life should be fun, simple and most of all, delicious!