Enjoy this awesome strawberry and blueberry butter cake recipe from Shuchi Mittal.
By Shuchi Mittal
I made this for my sis-in laws b’day. A first timer, it turned out better than expected and I totally loved the colorful fruits that complemented the simplicity of the butter cake underneath. What can I say, I am all for basic no-fuss desserts.
“Red, white & blue, colors of laughter & spring,
Create this delectable cake, and make the hearts sing.
With flavors simple, bringing in a special birthday,
That evening party, just got a tad gourmet.
Fruits and freshness, a farmer’s market in your plate,
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup brown sugar + more for sprinkling on top
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup strawberries (quartered)
- ½ cup blueberries
- ⅓ teaspoon cinnamon powder (for sprinkling-optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F (180 degree C).
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.
- In another bowl, beat the butter and sugar until the sugar has melted and the mixture turns fluffy.
- Mix in the egg, milk and vanilla until just combined. Don't worry if it turns lumpy- it will get smooth once you add in the flour.
- Add the flour mixture slowly, a spoon at a time, and fold till all the ingredients are just combined and the batter is smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a greased cake pan, and top with the strawberries & blueberries.
- Sprinkle some sugar and cinnamon (if using) on the fruits and bake for 10 minutes at 350 F.
- Reduce the temperature to 325F and bake for another 50-55 minutes, or till the edges are brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean,
- Cool & cut into wedges.