PARTNER POST: Get ready for the months ahead with new potato recipes that will inspire your spring and summer cooking.
Enjoy this hearty entree salad with grilled potatoes, steak and a beautiful bounty of spring vegetables with a yogurt dressing.
This recipe is for a big entrée salad with grilled seasoned potatoes, steak and a variety of spring produce. And if you don’t have a grill, not to worry: we’ve got directions for the stove and oven too!
I think all of us usually have potatoes hanging around the kitchen throughout the month. Since there are so many varieties of potatoes that provide a blank canvas for different flavors and cuisines, they’re a great pantry staple. In terms of nutrition, they go beyond basic though…they’re an excellent source of vitamin C and a good source of potassium (more than a banana) and a good source of B6.
And if that doesn’t sell you, remember the best thing about an entree salad: one platter= less dishes.
Just like with all of our salads, we’ve got a variety of shapes, textures and flavors. That’s what makes a salad great! The best part is that this concept carries across all seasons.
And this dressing? OBSESSED. You should use it in all seasons period. Sumac, garlic and ginger all day.
For another unique way to use potatoes, check out these truffles and find the recipe here.
Spring Baby Potato SaladCarlene Thomas
- 1/2 teaspoon sumac
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup plain 0% Icelandic yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger grated
- freshly ground black pepper 5 grinds
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 pounds baby white potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound sirloin steak can purchase pre-cut in strips
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil if using stove top vs grill
- salt and pepper
- 5 baby dill pickles cut in half
- 1 spring onion sliced into rounds
- 5 spring radishes tops removed, cut in half
- 3 cups mixed spring greens
- 12 asparagus tips
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped
- To make dressing: Add ingredients to a bowl and mix to combine. Cover and store in fridge.
- To make potatoes: If using a grill, preheat grill.
- Add potatoes to a bowl and mix olive oil, paprika, salt and pepper to combine.
- Add to a packet made from folded aluminum foil.
- Place on grill and cook for 10 minutes. Pierce a potato with a fork. If fork goes all the way through, potatoes are done. ALTERNATIVE: To cook in an oven, preheat oven to 400 F. Add to a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil, paprika, salt and pepper. Toss to evenly coat. Place on aluminum foil for 45 minutes. Flip halfway through.
- To cook steak: Preheat grill and season both sides of the steak with salt and pepper.
- Grill until cooked through.
- Rest and cut into strips. ALTERNATIVE: If using a stove top, add a little vegetable oil to a cast iron skillet. Cut meat into strips (or purchase pre cut strips) and season. Cook until meat is done.
- Plating: Add greens to a large platter.
- Add potatoes, steak and veggies in separate piles over greens. Top with spring onion and parsley.
- Serve dressing on the side.
Healthy, curated living from a dietitian nutritionist and recipe developer.