All the different textures in this salad — crisp onions and apples, crunchy nuts and creamy eggs — keep it interesting.
By Sherron Watson
- 1 Large container of spinach
- 3 hard boiled eggs, diced small or sliced
- 6 slices of bacon, diced and fried
- ¼ cup of red onion, chopped small
- 1 small red apple, chopped small
- ¼ cup toasted almonds or pecans
- grease of fried bacon
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons of honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Have bacon fried and eggs boiled.
- In a large skillet with the bacon grease and heat turned off, add the dressing ingredients. With a whisk, blend well. If the bacon grease has become solid, then warm until just melted. When the grease gets too hot it will wilt your spinach. The flavor will be the same but presentation may not be appealing.
- Right before you are ready to serve, toss the spinach with the warm dressing. It takes just a minute for the dressing and bacon dressing to be tossed together. Do not turn the heat on for this or you will end up sautéing your salad.
- Add the remaining ingredients to your salad and serve immediately.
Sherron Watson is a writer and photographer. Her passion for food started at a young age while working with her family in their restaurant business. A career in photography gave her the experience she needed to start capturing images of her favorite dishes. This led to the creation of her blog: simply-gourmet.com. She is currently a food writer for Capital Style Magazine in Annapolis, MD.