Like a chewy brownie, these soft chocolate cookies are mixed with almond flour for a delicious nutty taste.
By Danae Halliday
It’s almost that time of year again where we heat up our ovens, mix together flour, butter and sugar and bake a batch of our favorite Christmas cookies. While I wouldn’t really classify these Soft Chocolate and Almond Cookies as only Christmas cookies, I wouldn’t be disappointed if someone handed me a plate of them.
The exterior of these cookies are crisp and then when you bite into it your teeth sink into a rich chocolatey center that is similar to a brownie.
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour (I use Bob's Red Mill)
- ¼ cup almond meal
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons chopped dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
- In a large bowl whisk or sift together the flour, almond meal, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking
- soda and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer on medium high speed with the paddle attachment or with a handheld
- mixer, beat the soft butter and sugars until smooth and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the egg and almond extract and beat for another minute until smooth scraping down the
- sides once.
- On low speed slowly add in the dry ingredients scraping down the sides once.
- Beat until just combined, don't overmix.
- Using a rubber spatula fold in the chopped dark chocolate.
- Use a 1½ tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop out the dough and place it on the prepared cookie
- Bake the cookies for 9-11 minutes (they will appear underbaked) then remove them from the oven
- and let them cool on the pan for about 3 minutes before removing them to finish cooling on a wire
- Once they have cooled completely store them in an airtight container.
Hi, I'm Danae, the blogger, photographer, and recipe developer of Recipe Runner. Recipe Runner is all about my love of food, cooking, baking, and running. I hope that I can tempt you with my recipes and inspire you with my running stories! Enjoy!