The savory pancakes called Cheela is quite a popular snack in Rajasthan, India, and is normally made with just chickpea flour as the star ingredient to which grated veggies are added for crunch.
By Sanjeeta Kk
- 1 cup grated raw banana
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp. yogurt/curd
- 2 green chilies
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp Garam Masala (optional)
- Salt as desired
- Water as required
- Oil for shallow frying
- Peel and grate banana in a bowl filled with 1 tbsp. yogurt/curd. Mix it well, curd will help stop browning of grated banana.
- Add chickpea flour (besan), chopped green chilies, turmeric powder, garam masala, salt and chopped coriander leaves in the above mix. Keep pouring a little water and stir all the ingredients well to make batter of free flowing consistency.
- Heat a griddle or Tawa, pour a ladle of batter and drizzle a teaspoon of oil around it. Cook it for 3-4 minutes on medium heat. Flip the side and repeat the same.
- Serve these healthy savory banana pancakes with tomato sauce or green chutney at Tea time or for a refreshing breakfast.
Sanjeeta kk is the author of food blog ‘Lite Bite’ which features vegetarian recipes. Her quest for egg free baking and healthy cooking is extensively shared though all her recipes. She likes to share stories behind the origin of her recipes which are easy and accessible. Homemade, unprocessed and healthy food is what she strives for each day. She defines food as nostalgic, comforting & an important factor to connect with people and make community