Reinvent the usual scalloped potatoes to include scallions, cilantro, cheddar cheese and salsa with a bit of spice.
Swap our the usual scalloped potatoes or potato gratin for this version bursting with Mexican-flavors. We used La Victoria’s Thick’N Chunky Salsa Medium to layer between the potatoes. It’s medium heat brings just enough spice to the dish, but is quickly cooled thanks to the cheese and cream. Feel free to add browned ground meat to make the recipe a main dish complete with protein
Disclosure: We were not compensated for this post, but we did receive free La Victoria salsa in order to make this recipe.
Salsa Scalloped Potatoes
- 4 Russet potatoes thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 2 Cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoons Butter unsalted (plus more to grease the dish)
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- Salt to taste (we used 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 cup Thick’N Chunky Salsa Medium
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese grated
- 1/4 cup Scallions sliced
- Chopped cilantro to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Melt the butter in a sauce pot. Then add garlic and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the heavy cream, salt and cumin. Add the potatoes and bring the entire pot to a simmer. Allow to simmer until cream has thickened and the potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, grease a dish or skillet. We used a 6 inch skillet.
- Once potato and cream mixture is ready, use a fork to arrange the potatoes and cream sauce in a flat layer or spiral design in the pan. (You should have two layers) Top with half of the salsa, half of the cheese and half of the scallions. Repeat for a second layer.
- Bake until bubbling and brown on top and so potatoes are completely cooked. About 40 minutes.
- Top with fresh cilantro.
The Honest Cooking editorial team handpicks inspiring culinary stories to share with you that we think are beautiful. As an international online culinary magazine with the ambition to truly change the face of online food media we hope to create an inspiring place for serious culinary debate, salivating recipes, interesting food news and international food-fun.